Inspections, Smoke Detector, and Carbon Monoxide Detector Requirements
Arlington Fire Department would like to remind homeowners, realtors, and contractors of the requirements for Inspections of Properties and Certificates of Compliance.
- Homeowner, Realtor, or Contractor shall be present when Fire Department Inspector arrives and remain with Inspector during inspection.
- Pets, especially dogs, should be placed in rooms not being inspected or placed outside during inspection. This is for the safety of the Inspector.
- All areas being inspected will be free of debris and means of access/egress will not be blocked or impeded.
Smoke Detector Requirements
The regulation requires that only photoelectric smoke detectors be installed within 20 feet of a kitchen or bath containing a shower or tub. Areas located beyond this 20 foot area will be required to contain dual detection, both photoelectric and ionization, using either a single detector or two separate ones.
Additional details on smoke detectors can be found here.
Carbon Monoxide Detector Requirements
- All homes are required to install carbon monoxide alarms on each level, including basement and walk-up attics, in addition to smoke detectors.
- All homes with an attached garage will need carbon monoxide detectors in the adjacent rooms.
- All homes with an underneath garage will need carbon monoxide detectors in all adjacent and above rooms.
- Additional details on carbon monoxide detectors can be found here.