HISTORY OF THE ARLINGTON FIRE DEPARTMENT
1818: First mention of fire matters in Arlington town records. At the annual meeting of the town, the selectmen were instructed "to purchase fire ladders, fire-ward staffs, fire hooks, and such other implements as are needed."
1825: The town bought a fire engine "Friendship No. 1."
1832: a new engine, named "Good Intent" was bought.
1835: The "Olive Branch, No. 3," was purchased.
1851: The "Eureka," a suction engine, was introduced.
1855: The town accepted the legislative act creating fire departments.
1889: A chemical engine was acquired. Introduction of the Gamewell System of Fire Alarm.
1890: The department maintains 3 fire stations, well equipped with apparatus and men.
1891: The Arlington Firemen's Relief Association was organized and chartered.
1899: The Arlington Veteran's Firemen's Association was organized.
Horse drawn Eureka suction fire engine (circa 1875)
Original Highland Hose Fire Station with Firefighters (circa 1870)